Interested in approaching the canvas differently, I decided to try an off-center approach. And, this time I practiced patience, working for a bit then chilling the cake so that I could layer colors differently.
I’m pleased with the result, and especially proud of myself for the leaves! Using 3 different batches of green, I mixed and layered this time for a more palette-painterly (and less finger-painterly) look.
Still, once I took a photo and looked it over, I have some improvements for the next time I try this type of layout.
- Patience paid off with the layering of branch and leaf
- Using 3 different shades of green for the leaves
- Commit: Either go subtle with a bit of floral to the side, or go all out and arch across at least 3/4
- Add lavender shades – not all deep purple
A friend and I spent an afternoon palette-frosting. My cake turned out … okay. The background was almost right, but I noticed I missed an opportunity to do something really dramatic to the right of the butterfly. (Oh yes – and that smudgy thing above the flowers is supposed to be a butterfly.)
Once again, had a lot of fun. I enjoyed mixing up colors and getting some amusing contrast wit the purples.
However, this attempt also underscored that a little bit of rose gel coloring goes a LONG way, so in the future I want to use it rather more sparingly. And leaves – agh! Practice is most certainly called for.
I had some fun with color and the concept of filling the canvas on this cake.
I enjoyed mixing in various shades of purple across the streaky-blue background, and the gold effect of the brown centers with white candies.
What I didn’t love was my leaves – again! Leaves seem to be my Achilles heel. I need more practice.
For this attempt I wanted to introduce perspective. My idea was a wood in the distance, from which a stream winds into a pool, around which are some flowering plants.
I did enjoy the making, but the result was not close to my vision. Still, I liked one thing: the effect of the distant wood was emphasized by laying on the colors, chilling for a very few minutes, then gently dragging a pastry scraper across that area to blur the image. This is a technique I’ll use again.
The next time I try perspective, I’ll use these learnings:
- Do emphasize distance by dragging a pastry scraper across parts of the painted cake
- Do use bold and cheery colors in the foreground, and darker in the background
- Add a bit of blue to the base to reference sky
- Change by painting in the green meadows first, rather than adding later as an afterthought
- Change streams, paths, etc, to wind more dramatically for better perspective and effect
Inspired by my first foray into palette-frosting, My second attempt quickly followed the first.
This time I wanted a more interesting base, so I added a small amount of yellow gel coloring, and the tiniest bit of rose. I came out with a peachy hue and a watercolor look.
I piped green-tinted frosting as leaves.
I spread the green with a knife and added flower petals – ta-da!
What I liked
The watercolor effect of the background made me happy. It was subtle and pretty. I also liked the happy crimson color of the petals, and the white candies flower centers.
What I didn’t like
I shouldn’t have spread the green frosting – in retrospect, the piped lines were fine. I also was dissatisfied with the leaves as they looked too flat and square.
Another fun afternoon, ending with gel-food-coloring stained fingers and a happy husband.